Interested in learning more about us or have more facts?
Read these facts about our seniors in the U.S. ...
Statistics on Elderly (Seniors) Falls in the United States
- Falls is the number one leading cause of injury in the U.S.
- Falls amongst the Elderly are the number one unintentional injury that results in elderly deaths.
- There are 3.3 million Elderly Emergency Room visits due to a fall each year in the U.S.
- 6.28 falls happen every minute in the U.S. with seniors.
- Approximately 20-40 million Elderly Falls happen each year that go unreported.
U.S. Population - Seniors over 65
- In 2010 there were a 38 million seniors over the age of 65 in the U.S.
- Ten years ago there were 30 million seniors - this age population grows
- 10 million seniors live alone
- 14.1 million seniors live with a disability
- 9.2 million seniors live with an ambulatory disability
- 3.3 million seniors live with a disability in self-care
- 6.2 million seniors live with an independent living disability
- 2 million seniors live in group quarters
- 50% of the 38 million seniors fall repeatedly
The Cost of Elderly/Senior Falls in the United States
- In 1994, falls with seniors cost $20 Billion
- By 2020, falls with seniors cost $42 Billion
- By 2040, expected to reach $240 Billion
- 5% of all falls result in fractures - in one year there can be 350,000 hip fractures secondary to a fall
- 2/3 of the elderly who survive a hip fracture will not return to their pre-fracture level of functioning - especially those over the age of 85+
- 15,000 Seniors resulting in a hip fracture will die in the hospital
- 15,000 more will expire within six months of the fall and fracture
- Many seniors resulting in a hip fracture will spend one year in a long term rehabilitation facility
- Some seniors will live permanently in long term care.
- Compared to the cost of a an Elderly fall the cost of a MedPole is minimal.
- About 29% of U.S. Homes have a person with a chronic disability, however only 2.9% of these homes have some Home Safety Modification
- Homes need Med-Poles, People need Med-Poles - they are better than grab bars!
Number of Nursing Homes, Senior Facilities and Medical Device Places in the U.S. -
(essentially these are places that use Med-Poles!)
- U.S. Nursing Homes in the broadest sense - 63,000 facilities
- Number Hospice Services in the U.S. - 6,500
- Number of Senior Living Facilities in the U.S. - 22,000
- Number of Retirement Communities - 23,000
- Number of U.S. Hospitals - 18,000; Medpoles are great for discharging somone home
- General Safety and Mobility
- Multiple Sclerosis treatment
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Lower Extremity Amputation Treatment
Musculoskeletal and Connective Tissue Disorders
- Rheumatoid Arthritis treatment
- Progressive Systemic Sclerosis
- Psoriatic Arthitis treatment
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease - COPD exercises
- Acquired Immunodificiency Syndrome
What Conditions Could Benefit From the use of a Med-Pole Device for Greater Independence?
Med-Pole, Inc. - 6800 Townline Road - Syracuse, NY - MedPole ® - 866-821-POLE (7653) - www.medpole.us